Thursday, February 21, 2008

Positive Thinking

Someone recently advised me to try to keep control of my audition experience. Which means focusing on aspects of the audition than other getting a job, which I can't control. Then I can decide if I was successful whether or not I get cut.

Yesterday I had two auditions to try out this new strategy out. Why do I go to auditions?

- Number one reason: To get a job

But this doesn't happen that often, so to keep up my morale, I try to accomplish the following:

- Practice my audition skills
- See my friends
- Get a work-out
- Be a positive influence on the other auditionees who are often also miserable

And , more recently

- Get material for my blog

The first audition was for Surflight Theater's summer season. It doesn't pay too well, but it's on the beach and not too far from Manhattan. The call time was 9:30 am (9 am to get your audition card), which is odd, usually auditions are at 10am, and though it was only a half hour difference it felt early.

Having signed up a week earlier at the Equity building, I was in the first group. Which is good because it was a long audition. First a ballet combo, and not across the floor we-can-explain-it-in-two sentences ballet, but a fairly complicated, long, big movements-in-a -small-crowded-space combo. We do that in groups of six groups of five - I think the choreographer wrote something on my card, hopefully something good - then we change our shoes and learn a fairly long tap combination. We do that in groups, then change our shoes again for a swing combination. (Most regional theaters produce a whole seasons of shows in a summer, so they're looking for performers that can be in musicals ranging from 'Will Rogers Follies,' to 'Swing.')

Over an hour later, we go outside, the next group goes in the room to learn the audition combination, and we wait outside while the director and choreographer talk about us. I get cut (they seem to be taking shorties for 'Swing' and tallies for 'Producers' and 'Will Rogers Follies,' but who knows), but I feel okay because in the two hours I was there I accomplished all my other goals. I did some serious dancing, including tap which I don't take class of as often as I should, I am sweaty and exercised , I caught up with some good friends, and I complimented two girls whose dancing was amazing but got cut.

At 3 pm (another odd time, usually afternoon auditions start at 2), I audition for a White Plains (very local) production of 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.' The combo is a fun , sassy, we-are-secretaries-of-the-early-sixties-who-revel-in-our -sexual-power-but-we-have-control to 'A Secretary is Not a Toy.' We are encouraged to play it up. Along with the friendly assistant choreographer, our audition is watched by the female choreographer and director, along with two men in suits (the producers) who are having the time of their life watching sexy girls in leotards shamelessy flirt.

I am cut, but again, I feel okay. They only want sexy blondes, a fellow rejectee in the tiny dressing room complains. She is not doing so great. Is there something wrong with my face, she asks. Would someone just tell me. I commiserate over the not knowing, the always wondering if it's you or them. She's had a terrible few days, and this weekend is going to be awful. Working, I ask? No, a funeral, she replys.

In the elevator another dancer is crying because she lost her make-up bag, which will cost over a hundred dollars to replace (serious make-up is a job requirement). She also recently lost her iPod and a ring her grandfather gave her. I have similar problems with losing things, but not recently, and my iPod (which I think was stolen at an audition) was replaced at Christmas with a snazzy iPhone. At least we get to go home now, I suggest. And my roommate's crap is probably all over, she notes, still crying. I say goodbye to her and the girl preparing for a funeral and decide things could be worse than two rejections in one day.

So not a bad day.

No comments: