Friday, February 29, 2008

Legally Blonde and Other Great Movies-to-Musicals

Omigod you guys! Legally Blonde is totally today. In high ponytail, orange cheer skirt and purple converse, there is no way I am as old as my upcoming birthday says. The characters of this bouncy musical have come to life next to me in the a group of lip-gloss sharing blondes who are like so-totally-annoyed they shriek you-so-cannot-be-serious when the non-union dancers are kicked out of the holding room until their turn two hours later.

We learn a cheerleader turned pussycat-doll routine (remember it’s not dark sexy, but happy sexy the associate choreographer reminds us). It's fun with butt bumping and sass, though awkward at times, especially since we walk forward at the beginning and almost end up in the auditionees laps.

After all the groups dance, before they make the cut, they ask me and three others to do it one more time. I sass is up as much as I can, but I am still cut. Which makes me even more bummed out, since there was something about me that they liked, but on closer inspection not so much.

But it's really a silly show I tell myself, like so many movies-turned-musicals. Cry-Baby, Leap of Faith and 9-to-5 are imminent, with more on the works. Rumored to be coming soon:

- Sister Act (can I be Whoopi?)

- Spider-Man (with a score by Bono)

- Catch Me If You Can

- TV shows Colombo and Designing Women

And my favorite: Rocky! Better work on my boxing…


"I just want to dance!"

No comments: